Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, the premier summer jazz camp located in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp is available to aspiring intermediate and advanced music students ages 14-20 who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. Although our 2020 camp has been cancelled due to COVID-19, our camp typically runs for the second week of July daily from 9am-4pm with additional evening performances and activities.
In 2019, we had 130 students representing many schools across the country attend the Hilton Head Jazz Camp or one of our other summer jazz programs. In addition to the main camp, we also offer our beginner jazz clinic (ages 10-14) and jazz guitar institute (ages 14-18). All of our programs are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
Important notice about COVID-19: “After meeting with the board of the Junior Jazz Foundation, we have unanimously decide to cancel the HH Jazz Camp along with our clinic and guitar institute for 2020. As difficult as this is for us and our students who are desperately looking forward to camp, opinions aside, we must do what is safe and cautious for everyone involved. Outside of last year’s 125 students between the three camp programs, we had at least 500+ people involved in some aspect of the camp – whether it be attending a concert or volunteering. If you have registered for the camp, you will receive a full refund on your registration fee and we will release any hotel reservations. For our college interns, if you are available for 2021, we would love to have you back again. We are not planning on a virtual camp at this time, but have some other possibilities in the works to support your jazz education directly in the upcoming year. On behalf of the faculty, we can’t express how much we’ll miss you all this July and can’t wait to GO BIG for our 10th year in 2021.
Love you all,
Hilton Head Jazz Camp
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, scholarship program, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC.
What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp?
Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with 24/7 supervision and additional evening activities.
- Our artist-in-residence program, which has featured guest artists such as:
- Nicki Parrott (bassist / vocalist of the Les Paul Trio)
- Charlton Singleton (Grammy-winning trumpeter of Ranky Tanky)
- Mark Rapp (SC Ambassador of Jazz / founder of ColaJazz)
- Chloe Feoranzo (clarinetist / vocalist of Postmodern Jukebox)
- Ricardo Ochoa (jazz violinist of the award-winning band Velvet Caravan)
- A seven hour daily schedule with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty.
- Financial aid offerings in the form of merit and financial-based scholarships along with automatic discounts for siblings, camp alumni, and honor band students.
- Usage of the full campus and fine arts facilities on campus with 14 diverse spaces including a music technology lab, keyboard lab, various rehearsal spaces and the jazz cafe.
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening (5pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at various performance venues. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- In addition to the typical jazz camp offerings, we offer a special jazz orchestral strings program and vocal jazz program as a unique feature of the HHJC.
- 18 full-time professional faculty (an incredible 4:1 faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh chef-prepared daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. In addition to the Junior Jazz Foundation, we are supported by a number of private donors. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
A special thanks to our private scholarship donors.