Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, the premier summer jazz camp located in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp is available to aspiring intermediate and advanced music students ages 14-20 who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. This year, our camp will take place from July 6-11, 2020, daily from 9am-4pm with additional evening performances and activities.
In 2019, we had 130 students representing many schools across the country attend the Hilton Head Jazz Camp or one of our other summer jazz programs. In addition to the main camp, we also offer our beginner jazz clinic (ages 10-14) and jazz guitar institute (ages 14-18) June 22-26 daily from 1-4pm. All of our programs are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
Registration for the 10th annual jazz camp is available NOW @ hhjazzcamp.eventbrite.com.
Important notice about COVID-19: “We are closing monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) at the HHJC, but at this time, we are still planning on having our summer camp programs as scheduled. Students will still be able to register online for one of our summer camp programs, but our tuition will not be billed until we are certain that everything will be able to proceed (likely in April or May). A refund for registration fees will be available for any students if necessary. If you are planning on making travel plans to attend the camp, it may be wise to wait until the danger of the coronavirus has passed. For overnight students, we still have our overnight accommodations reserved.
We are hoping for everything to proceed as normal this summer for our 10th annual Hilton Head Jazz Camp. Thank you so much for your support and understanding. Please continue to encourage aspiring young musicians to continue to register for one of our camp programs.”
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, scholarship program, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC.
What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp?
Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with 24/7 supervision and additional evening activities.
- Our artist-in-residence program, which has featured guest artists such as:
- Nicki Parrott (bassist / vocalist of the Les Paul Trio)
- Charlton Singleton (Grammy-winning trumpeter of Ranky Tanky)
- Mark Rapp (SC Ambassador of Jazz / founder of ColaJazz)
- Chloe Feoranzo (clarinetist / vocalist of Postmodern Jukebox)
- Ricardo Ochoa (jazz violinist of the award-winning band Velvet Caravan)
- A seven hour daily schedule with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty.
- Financial aid offerings in the form of merit and financial-based scholarships along with automatic discounts for siblings, camp alumni, and honor band students.
- Usage of the full campus and fine arts facilities on campus with 14 diverse spaces including a music technology lab, keyboard lab, various rehearsal spaces and the jazz cafe.
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening (5pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at various performance venues. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- In addition to the typical jazz camp offerings, we offer a special jazz orchestral strings program and vocal jazz program as a unique feature of the HHJC.
- 18 full-time professional faculty (an incredible 4:1 faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh chef-prepared daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. In addition to the Junior Jazz Foundation, we are supported by a number of private donors. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
A special thanks to our private scholarship donors.